February 17, 2012 — US FPD Smart Displays Conference: From Emerging to Mainstream will take place February 28-29 in San Diego, CA with speakers from display materials, components, user interfaces, connectivity, content platforms, delivery and display systems, and retail sectors. Speakers hail from Intel, LG Electronics, Toshiba, Corning, Qualcomm, Motorola, Samsung, Sharp, hhgregg, Yahoo! and other companies.
While flat panel display (FPD) technology has advanced for decades, intelligently connecting these displays is a more recent advancement that could shake up how displays are used. Increasingly, computing power is shifting to the display itself, on TVs, tablets, notebooks, phones and more devices. Smart displays add value to products in increasingly competitive and price-pressured markets, said Paul Semenza, SVP of NPD DisplaySearch, which hosts the conference. Smart displays open up the potential for new technologies and usage modes, and new ways to meet consumer needs.
The conference covers smart displays for TVs, tablets and notebooks, examining the required technologies and system designs for smart displays. Representatives throughout the flat panel display, capacitive touch, 3D display, mobile device and emerging display industries will participate.
NPD DisplaySearch and sister company NPD In-Stat will give more than 30 presentations on the industry’s direction, strategy, and opportunities.
On the retail side, Dennis May, CEO of retailer hhgregg, will discuss how to deliver TV industry growth in 2012, and the retailers’ roles in the success of new display products.
US FPD Smart Displays agenda:
Advancing Smart Display Technologies
- Market Overview by Paul Semenza, Senior Vice President, Analyst Services, NPD DisplaySearch
- Next Generation Displays: We Get There with Glass by Robert O’Brien, Director, Marketing Intelligence, Corning
- Advancing the “Art of the Possible” in Large Screen Displays by Jim Sanduski, Vice President, Strategic Product Marketing, Sharp
Interactivity-New User Interfaces for Smart Displays
- Human-Machine Interactive: Touch and Touch-Less Control by Dr. Jennifer Colegrove, Vice President, Display Technologies, NPD DisplaySearch
- The Power of Multi-Touch: Revolutionizing the User Experience via a New Foundation for Tomorrow’s Industrial and Commercial Applications by Gene Halsey, Product Line Director, Touch Revolution, a TPK Company
- In Touch Between Customers and Business, the Magic of Interactive Digital Signage by Stephen Aguirre, Director Strategic Marketing, TE Touch Solutions
- The Gesture Revolution: On, Off, and In the Display by Vincent John Vincent, Co-CEO, President & Co-Founder, GestureTek Inc.
- The 4th Screen: Voice and Touch Innovation for the Digital Living Room by Gary Clayton, Chief Creative Officer, Nuance Communications
Connectivity — Controlling and Acquiring Devices and Content
- Connectivity: Controlling and Acquiring Devices & Content by Brian O’Rourke, Research Director, Digital Entertainment, NPD In-Stat
- Alex Chervet, Senior Director of Marketing, Silicon Image
- Mark Grodzinsky, Vice President of Marketing, Wilocity
- Building a Truly Smart Display by Leslie Chard, President, WHDI LLC
- Unwiring the Next Frontier Isn’t About Radios, It’s Just Software by Kerry Forell, Product Manager for Wireless Display, Intel Marketing Group
- Ben Chan, Director, Product Marketing, Entropic
A Conversation with Dennis L. May, President, Chief Executive Officer and Director, hhgregg
- Stephen Baker, Vice President of Industry Analysis for The NPD Group, will present US sell-through results for 2011 that document the challenges facing the consumer technology industry and then follow that up with an intimate discussion with Dennis May, hhgregg CEO, about how retailers can overcome challenges during this period of transition.
Tablets, Smart Monitors, Cloud Devices and other “Personal” Computers
- Complementing and Competing with the TV by Richard Shim, Senior Analyst PC/IT Team, NPD DisplaySearch
- Tablets in Prime Time by Young Bae, Group Manager, Consumer PC/Tablets, Toshiba
- New Uses, New Purposes, New Attach by Andy Bowden, Senior Strategic Marketing Manager, Displays Global Business Unit, Hewlett-Packard
- Enabling the Connected Smart Display by Dr. Alan Messer, Senior Director, Advanced Technologies Lab, Samsung Electronics and President and Chairman UPnP Forum
- Troy Cross, Vice President of Sales and Alliances for the Americas and Asia, Vlingo
Content and Apps for Smart Displays
- Russ Schafer, Senior Director, Product Marketing, Yahoo! Connected TV and Desktop
Content and Ecosystem by Matt Gordon, Vice President Content and Product Solutions, Samsung Electronics
- Bob Scheffler, Director of Next Generation Video Solutions, Motorola
- Tom Paquin, Chief Technology officer, OnLive
TV of the Future
- TV of the Future: What Is a Key Trend and What Is a Distraction? by Paul Gagnon, Director, North American TV Research, NPD DisplaySearch
- Ji Park, VP Product Management, Qualcomm
- Kurt Hoppe, Director of Smart TV Innovation and Alliances, LG Electronics
Natural Interaction by Bill Rouady, Director, Product Planning for TV Software and Services, Hillcrest Labs
- Ashwin Navin, CEO and Co-Founder, Flingo
- Smart Sensor and Lighting for Smarter Displays by Paul Wilmarth, Director of Consumer Segment Marketing, AMS-TAOS Inc
Register for the NPD DisplaySearch US FPD Conference at www.displaysearch.com/usfpd.