SiTime Corp. introduced the SiT8920 MEMS oscillator for industrial and high reliability applications. While operating over the widest temperature range, -55°C to +125°C, the SiT8920 consumes half the power of quartz oscillators, is twice as stable, 20 times more reliable and 30 times more robust to shock and vibration. These key benefits dramatically improve system performance and reduce failures in harsh environments.
Piyush Sevalia, executive vice president of marketing at SiTime, said: “SiTime’s MEMS oscillators incorporate unique features that are simply not available from quartz products. For example, the SiT8920 incorporates SiTime’s unique SoftEdge rise/fall time control that reduces system EMI without additional components, expensive shielding or PCB re-design.”
SiTime is also introducing two additional devices that are well suited for replacing quartz oscillators and crystal resonators.
- SiT1618 – a fixed-frequency oscillator that operates over -40°C to +125°C
- SiT8918 – a programmable oscillator that operates over the same temperature range and supports any frequency between 1 and 110 MHz as well as 1.8V and 2.5 to 3.3V operation
These new high-temp oscillators offer many unique features and benefits listed below.
- Best robustness: 30 times better than quartz oscillators; 0.1 ppb/g vibration sensitivity; 50,000 g shock and 70 g vibration resistance
- 500 million hours MTBF (2 FIT), 20 times better than quartz oscillators
- ±25 PPM over the operating temperature for better system timing
- Low power consumption: < 4 mA typical
- Five industry-standard package options including a tiny 2.0 x 1.6 mm, all of which are drop-in replacements for quartz oscillators
The SiT8920, SiT8918 and the SiT1618 MEMS oscillators are sampling now with mass production scheduled for April 2013. Pricing is available upon request.