Taiwanese chipmakers, LED manufacturers, and Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) firms will spend firm nearly $24 billion in the next two years on equipment and materials, powering excitement for SEMICON Taiwan 2014, which opened today in Taipei. Leaders in the industry are convening for the September 3-5 event at the TWTC Nangang Hall.
Driven by consumer demand for tablet, smartphone, and mobile devices, the total semiconductor equipment market is expected to grow 20.8 percent in 2014 (reaching $38.4 billion) and expand another 10.8 percent in 2015 (exceeding $42.6 billion). SEMI forecasts that Taiwan will continue to be the world’s largest spender with $11.6 billion estimated for 2014 and $12.3 billion for 2015.
Nearly 650 exhibitors, 1,400 booths and more than 40,000 attendees are expected at SEMICON Taiwan. Over 400 will convene for the SEMICON Taiwan Leadership Gala Dinner, one of the most important executive events for the high-tech industry in Taiwan.
SEMICON Taiwan features co-located events and technology theme pavilions focusing on IC design, MEMS, 3D-ICs, advanced packaging/testing, sustainable manufacturing, and secondary equipment.
Business Program Highlights
Facing the fast-changing business environment and global competition, companies must be prepared for unexpected challenges to survive. SEMICON Taiwan covers the critical issues in sessions focusing on market trends to executive forums.
On September 3, Cliff Hou (VP of TSMC), Charles Kau (chairman of Inotera Memories), Tien Wu (COO of ASE Group), Lip-Bu Tan (president and CEO of Cadence), and Luc Van den hove (president and CEO of imec) will be on the SEMICON Taiwan Executive Forum stage to share their unique perspectives on Taiwan strategic role in the world’s microelectronics industry. Also on September 3, the Market Trends Forum features speakers from Barclays Capital, Gartner, IC Insights, Morgan Stanley, SEMI, TechSearch and TSMC. On September 5, the Memory Executive Summit includes presenters from ITRI/EOL, Lam Research, Micron, MXIC, and more while the CFO Executive Summit features speakers from DBS Bank (Taiwan), EQUVO, Micron, and TSMC.
Technology Programs Highlights
Wednesday, September 3
- Advanced Packaging Technology Symposium: Presenters will cover market trends, product applications, packaging/assembly solutions (wire bond/flip chip/hybrid) to advanced equipment and material development, and testing and reliability. With experts involved from the entire supply chain, the seminar will cover the most advanced technology development directions for 3D-IC.
- Sustainable Manufacturing Forum: Showcasing companies and speakers from around the world involved in the manufacture of semiconductors, FPD, PV, High-Brightness LEDs, MEMS, and other high tech products, experts will address a wide variety of environment, health, safety (EHS) and sustainability topics that affect high-tech manufacturing.
Thursday, September 4
- SiP Global Summit 2014: With a strong focus on heterogeneous integration through System-in-a-Package (SiP) technology, SEMI will host the 4th annual SiP Global Summit on September 3-5. The event features more than 20 industry leaders who will share their insights and solutions on 3D-IC, Through Silicon Via (TSV), 2.5D-IC with silicon interposer, and embedded substrate technologies. More than 500 industry professionals from around the world are expected to attend.
- MEMS Forum: With a focus on “MEMS for Smart Living,” the September 4 forum will discuss the opportunities as well as challenges.
Friday, September 5
- Embedded Technology Forum (SiP Global Summit 2014): With demand for wearable/portable devices booming, small form factor has become critical for embedded technology. The Forum reviews product applications and development progress in process and materials to give attendees a comprehensive understanding of embedded technology.
- Litho & Mask Technology Symposium: In this symposium, exploratory lithography technologies are addressed — directed self assembly (DSA), nanoimprint technologies, multiple e-beam, and extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUV).
For more information and online registration, visit the SEMICON Taiwan website: www.semicontaiwan.org