Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 272 2015 3D ASIP Part 1: Pioneer Awards; Sony 3D stacked CIS; Latest on SPIL Acquisition
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor Beginning coverage on the 2015 3D ASIP (Architectures for Semiconductor Interconnect and packaging) conference sponsored by RI Int which is the final major high density packaging conference of the year. This years technical Chairs were Prof Mitsumsa Koyanagi from Tohoku Univ. and Rama Alipati from GlobalFoundries. Professor Koyanagi of Tohoku University [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
What to Expect in 2016 in the Chipworld
By Dick James, Senior Technology Analyst, Chipworks It’s the time in the media world that we see a frenzy of predictions for the coming year. They are mostly business or tech trends, so I figured I might as well chip in (har! har!), and give a more detailed idea of what new semiconductor products we look forward to this year, now that we are in 2016. This might seem to be a bit like fortune-telling, [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
Does Consolidation Put Innovation at Risk?
Consolidation in the semiconductor industry continues apace, with more than $100 billion in mergers and acquisitions announced in 2015, and more to come in 2016. “With our industry growth rates being so low, it’s a lot cheaper to acquire market share than it is to invest and beat your competitor over the head,” said analyst Bill McClean, speaking at SEMI’s Industry Strategy Symposium (ISS) [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Check out the finalists for MEMS & Sensors Technology Showcase at MEMS Executive Congress 2015
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group Back in 2001 when I was a young mother with a baby in diapers, I dreamed of a MEMS-enabled gizmo (perhaps on her diaper?) that would remotely indicate if my daughter was sleeping. She was (and still is) a restless sleeper, and I had many nights where I tip-toed into her room to ensure that she was breathing and yes, indeed, still alive in [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
2015 Source Workshop - What we expect to hear
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. EUV Sources remain the key enabler to move EUVL into manufacturing, and we look forward to the upcoming 2015 Source Workshop (November 9-11, 2015, Dublin, Ireland) for the latest developments and status of EUV Source technology. Both high-volume manufacturing (HVM) level and metrology EUV sources are needed for chip manufacturing using EUVL. For HVM sources, power [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
3D XPoint uses PCM Material in ReRAM Device
IM Flash pre-announced “3D XPoint”(TM) memory for release later this year, and lack of details has led to widespread confusion regarding what it is. EETimes has reported that, “Chalcogenide material and an Ovonyx switch are magic parts of this technology with the original work starting back in the 1960’s,” said Guy Blalock, co-CEO of IM Flash at the 2016 Industry Strategy Symposium hosted [...]