Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 244 3D Stacked CMOS Image Sensors; IEEE 3DIC Conf
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor At the recent 2015 Int Image Sensor Workshop, Ray Fontaine of Chipworks presented a review of “The State-of-the-art of Mainstream CMOS Image Sensors” Chipwork’s estimate, from other market research firms, is that the CIS market in 2014 was ~ $9B. Of this total it is estimated that Sony, Samsung and Omnivision hold > 66% market share driven by mobile [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
The Confab – Semi Industry is Now Mature
By Dick James, Senior Technology Analyst, Chipworks The Confab started on Tuesday last week, an industry get-together organised by Solid State Technology (part of Extension Media), which they promote it as the “Semiconductor Manufacturing & Design Industry's Premier Conference and Networking Event”. The conference portion started with an afternoon panel session, “Exploring the Edges [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
IoT, Healthcare and 5G to Drive RF and Microwave
Imagine the world in 2020, only five years from now. If predictions hold true, more than 50 billion devices will be connected to the Internet (creating the Internet of Things), through smart homes, smart cities, smart factories, smart everything. Two recent Cisco studies show there’s $19 trillion in IoT value is at stake in the private ($14.4 trillion) and public ($4.6 trillion) sectors. The studies [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Karen’s Hamburg MEMS Roadtrip – A Great Gig
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group My favorite kind of business travel is when I can combine it with either a visit with friends/family or a site visit to a MEMS Industry Group (MIG) member company. This month, before I headed to Copenhagen to host MEMS Executive Congress Europe 2015, I had the pleasure of doing both. In the immortal words of the Beatles, I went to Hamburg [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
EUV Lithography – What is Next and When?
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. This year started with an announcement, during the SPIE AL Conference, of the achievement of 100 W+ power from high volume manufacturing (HVM) EUV sources in the fab. One hundred watts at intermediate focus has been a long-standing benchmark and is a definite success, and we also can be sure that source power and availability will increase this year. The focus will [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
Electronic Materials Specifications and Markets
At SEMICON West this year, July 14-16 in San Francisco, the Chemical and Gas Manufacturers Group (CGMG) Committee of SEMI have organized an excellent program covering “Contamination Control in the Sub-20nm Era” to occur in the afternoon of the 14th as part of the free TechXPOT series. Recent high-volume manufacturing (HVM) developments have shown much tighter IC control specifications in terms [...]