Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 255: Consolidation continues; ASE acquires SPIL stock; Semicon Taiwan part 2: MediaTek Antenna on Package
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor Consolidation One may say that IFTLE has been obsessed with consolidation for the last few years. The reasons for this become obvious when one looks at the increase in recent activity. There are typically ~25 or so acquisitions a year. In 2015, there will 2X that number and the deals, in general are ~10X larger than in the past. IC Insights has recently [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
Apple Watch and ASE Start New Era in SiP
By Dick James, Senior Technology Analyst, Chipworks Back in April the Apple watch appeared in our labs, and of course we pulled it apart to see its contents. That set us some challenges, since inside the case we have the S1 "chip" (as Jony Ive called it in the launch last year). As you can see, it occupies most of the space inside the case, so it’s a pretty large chip; normally only the likes [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
IoT Surveys Indicate Optimism, Confusion
Solid State Technology recently conducted a survey of our readers on how the Internet of Things (IoT) is driving the demand for semiconductor technology. A total of 303 people responded to the survey. A majority of the respondents were in management roles. Survey questions focused on their expectations for growth in the Internet of Things (IoT), drivers, potential roadblocks, opportunities and impact [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Karen’s Hamburg MEMS Roadtrip – A Great Gig
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group My favorite kind of business travel is when I can combine it with either a visit with friends/family or a site visit to a MEMS Industry Group (MIG) member company. This month, before I headed to Copenhagen to host MEMS Executive Congress Europe 2015, I had the pleasure of doing both. In the immortal words of the Beatles, I went to Hamburg [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
EUV Lithography – What is Next and When?
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. This year started with an announcement, during the SPIE AL Conference, of the achievement of 100 W+ power from high volume manufacturing (HVM) EUV sources in the fab. One hundred watts at intermediate focus has been a long-standing benchmark and is a definite success, and we also can be sure that source power and availability will increase this year. The focus will [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
Silex’ Strategic Acquisition by China
A secretive investment holding company out of Hong Kong named GAE Ltd has acquired 98% of the shares in Silex Microsystems AB (Jarfalla, Sweden). The transaction took place on July 13th of this year when the former major shareholders agreed to sell all of their respective holdings, while Silex founder and CEO Edvard Kalvesten retains 2% of the shares in the company and continues his role as CEO and [...]