Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 312 Mergers, Acquisitions and Rumors; IMAPS 2016
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor Before we take our first look at IMAPS 2016, let's first look at some recent merger announcements and rumors which continue unabated. ASE / Siliconware Despite the recent approval by Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission the proposed merger between ASE and SPIL continues to be reviewed by anti-trust authorities in China and the US. It is reported that it is [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
IEDM 2016 Next Week! (Part 2)
By Dick James, Senior Technology Analyst, Chipworks Read Part 1 here. Now for the second part of the preview, starting with the Tuesday afternoon sessions: Session 17: Process and Manufacturing Technology — Silicon Based Advanced CMOS Here we look ahead a little, considering how silicon will evolve rather than using other higher-mobility materials. First up is a joint IBM/GF report of [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
Etch Abatement Needed at 200mm Fabs to Meet WSC Goals for 2020
I'm delighted to turn the blog over again to Mike Czerniak, Environmental Solutions Business Development Manager at Edwards. A longtime champion of the environment, Mike, nominated by the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), was just been accepted as the ‘expert witness’ on CF4 for the forthcoming Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) working party on emissions of this [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Sentimental Feelings – Looking Back and Forward to MEMS & Sensors Executive Congress
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS & Sensors Industry Group I’m feeling sentimental as I prepare with the MEMS & Sensors Industry Group (MSIG) team for our annual MEMS & Sensors Executive Congress. Maybe it’s because this will be the last Executive Congress before MSIG becomes a strategic association partner of SEMI (here’s the announcement in case you missed it). I remember [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
Pushing Frontiers of EUV Source Technology – 2016 Source Workshop (November 7-9, 2016)
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. EUV Sources remain the key component for ensuring EUV Lithography’s entry into fabs for high-volume manufacturing. Two big factors that have enabled dramatic progress in source readiness are related to improvements in source power and source lifetime. Now the question is how far we can push source power and lifetime, and what is needed to enable continued progress. For [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
China to be 15% of World Fab Capacity by 2018
Currently there are eight Chinese 300mm-diameter silicon IC fabs in operation as 2016 comes to a close. Chinese IC fab capacity now accounts for approximately 7% of worldwide 300mm capacity, as reported by VLSIresearch in a recent edition of its Critical Subsystems report (https://www.vlsiresearch.com/public/csubs/). This will expand rapidly, as ten are now under construction and two more have been [...]