Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 305 Where is Samsung Widecon?? ; TSMC InFO found in iPhone 7
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor Samsung Widecon Technology Samsung introduced us to their Widecon technology in 2014 [link] and it was predicted that this 3D TSV technology linking memory to processor would be introduced in the Exnos 6 generation. Dick James (Chipworks) recent assessment of the tear own of the Galaxy note 7 [link] tells us that the application processor [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 is More Than the Batteries!
By Dick James, Senior Technology Analyst, Chipworks As usual, within days of the August 19 launch of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, we had it in pieces and had identified most of the significant components that were inside. APU and memory The application processor that drives our phone is the Exynos 8 Octa (Exynos 8890), similar to the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge. It has an eight-core CPU, [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
Etch Abatement Needed at 200mm Fabs to Meet WSC Goals for 2020
I'm delighted to turn the blog over again to Mike Czerniak, Environmental Solutions Business Development Manager at Edwards. A longtime champion of the environment, Mike, nominated by the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), was just been accepted as the ‘expert witness’ on CF4 for the forthcoming Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) working party on emissions of this [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Check out the finalists for MEMS & Sensors Technology Showcase at MEMS Executive Congress 2015
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group Back in 2001 when I was a young mother with a baby in diapers, I dreamed of a MEMS-enabled gizmo (perhaps on her diaper?) that would remotely indicate if my daughter was sleeping. She was (and still is) a restless sleeper, and I had many nights where I tip-toed into her room to ensure that she was breathing and yes, indeed, still alive in [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
Update from EUVL Workshop in Berkeley
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. The 2016 EUVL Workshop was held last month at LBL in Berkeley, where we heard the latest news on EUV Lithography R&D development topics. The keynote talks were given Harry Levinson (GlobalFoundries), Britt Turkot (Intel) and Igor Fomenkov (Cymer/ASML). There were progress reports on the current technical areas of focus that I will talk about below. However, [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
Fish-Scale Piezo Generators
Piezoelectric generators are based on thin-films of structured materials that can convert pressure into electricity. Inorganic crystals such as aluminum-nitride (AlN) barium titanate (BT) and lead-zirconium-titanate (PZT) have long been explored as piezoelectric films for various applications. Now researchers Sujoy Kumar Ghosh and Dipankar Mandal at the Jadavpur University in Kolkata, India have shown [...]