Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 323 The New DARPA Program “CHIPS”; Amkor Acquires Nanium; GE Licenses SEMCO
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor Back in the late 1970s, there was a TV show in the US called ChiPS which stood for California Highway Patrol. It was poorly written and even more poorly acted. Thank goodness that’s not what we are going to be talking about now. The research wing of the Defense Department, otherwise known as DARPA, put out a broad agency announcement in Sept 2016 for [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
Intel's 10nm Enigma
By Dick James I’ve been looking back at the talk given by Mark Bohr and Zane Ball (Building Winning Products with Intel® Advanced Technologies and Custom Foundry Platforms) at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) in August last year, and I’m a bit puzzled. [caption id="attachment_444" align="alignnone" width="625"] Mark Bohr presenting at the 2016 IDF in San Francisco (Source: Intel)[/caption] Mark [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
The New Driver for Semiconductor Tech
Over the past 40 years, the electronics industry has gone through three distinct stage or “waves” of evolution. Last year, in a Solid State Technology webcast presentation, Intel’s Islam Salama described the waves and how the latest wave is driving the semiconductor industry in new and very different ways. Dr. Salama is responsible for packaging substrate pathfinding of high density interconnects [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Sentimental Feelings – Looking Back and Forward to MEMS & Sensors Executive Congress
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS & Sensors Industry Group I’m feeling sentimental as I prepare with the MEMS & Sensors Industry Group (MSIG) team for our annual MEMS & Sensors Executive Congress. Maybe it’s because this will be the last Executive Congress before MSIG becomes a strategic association partner of SEMI (here’s the announcement in case you missed it). I remember [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
Areas of Focus and List of Challenges for EUV Lithography at 7nm, 5nm and 3nm Nodes
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. As we look forward to 2017 SPIE Advanced Lithography Conference in San Jose next week, the focus once again will be on EUV Lithography, its readiness for manufacturing and plans of chip makers for starting to use EUVL in their fabs. Insertion is planned from 7 to 5nm nodes by chip makers in coming years. The areas of focus at 7nm are mostly related to productivity [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
Photoelectric measure of atomically thin stacks
A team led by researchers at the University of Warwick have discovered a breakthrough in how to measure the electronic structures of stacked 2D semiconductors using the photoelectric (PE) effect. Materials scientists around the world have been investigating various heterostructures to create different 2D materials, and stacking different combinations of 2D materials creates new materials with new properties. The [...]