Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 220 GaTech Global Interposer Conference part 1 : Repeat After Me - "Panel Size, Equipment Set Cost and Yielded Throughput"
By Dr. Phil Garrou, Contributing Editor GaTech Global Interposer Conference The 4th Annual Global Interposer Technology Workshop At GaTech gathered 200 attendees from 11 countries to discuss the status of interposer technology. It has become the one meeting where you can find all the key interposer layers including those representing glass, laminate and silicon. Some of the panel discussions [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
IEDM – Monday was FinFET Day
By Dick James, Senior Analyst, Chipworks In my conference preview blog last week, I mentioned that session 3 on the Monday afternoon would be a hot session, with three finFET papers, by TSMC, Intel, and IBM. I was right – even though they were given in the Grand Ballroom, it was full. Paper 3.1 from TSMC disclosed what looks like their 16FF+ 16nm finFET technology, advanced from the 16FF reported [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
Semiconductor Materials: Growth, Opportunities and Challenges
Don’t miss this week’s webcast on Thursday at 1:00 pm Eastern, 10:00am Pacific. We have two great speakers lined up. First, Lita Shon‐Roy, President/CEO of Techcet, will provide an overview of chip level materials markets, focusing on growth and opportunities. Next, SRC’s Jon Candelaria, Director, GRC Interconnect and Packaging Sciences, will describe how today’s researchers are exploring [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Pittsburgh IMAPS Workshop
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group Packaging means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Webster’s dictionary defines package as a “group or a number of things, boxed and offered as a unit.” For my school-age daughters, packaging means figuring out how to maximize the components of their lunch into these bento-box-like containers I bought at Target [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
2014 EUV Source Workshop Summary
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. Short Summary At the 2014 Source Workshop in Dublin, the semiconductor industry’s largest annual gathering of EUV source experts, we received the latest updates on current EUV source technology (Sn laser-produced plasma [LPP]) and discussed potential and challenges of Free Electron Laser (FEL) based sources as the next generation high power EUV sources. The [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
NanoParticle Self-Assembly at UofM
Theory and Practice synergize R&D Sharon C. Glotzer and Nicholas A. Kotov are both researchers at the University of Michigan who were just awarded a MRS Medal at the Materials Research Society (MRS) Fall Meeting in San Francisco for their work on “Integration of Computation and Experiment for Discovery and Design of Nanoparticle Self-Assembly.” Due to the fact that surface atoms compose [...]