Solid State Technology’s bloggers provide an insider’s point-of-view for electronic manufacturing such as semiconductor wafer fab, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturing, and advanced packaging and test product announcements, industry tradeshows, process advances, and technologies.
- Dr. Phil Garrou gives his insight into leading edge developments in 3-D integration and advanced packaging, reporting the latest technical goings on from conferences, conversations, and more.
IFTLE 218 IMAPS 2014 contd: K&S Thermo compression, Shinko 3D stacking, Samsung High Density Organic Interposers
Continuing our look at the 2014 IMAPS Conference held in San Diego… K&S Colosimo of K&S examined high productivity Thermo-compression FC bonding. In traditional FC assembly, the chips are tacked down to the substrate and then solder joints are melted and mass reflowed in an oven. Mass reflow (MR) becomes more difficult as the pitch of the solder bumps becomes finer due to control of [...]
- DICK JAMES is a 40-year veteran of the semiconductor industry and the senior technology analyst for Chipworks, an Ottawa, Canada-based specialty reverse engineering company. Chipworks analyses a broad range of devices, giving Dick a unique overview of what technologies make it into the real world of semiconductor production.
Intel's 14nm Parts are Finally Here!
By Dick James, Chipworks Earlier last week, a couple of laptops arrived from Japan using the Core M version of Intel’s Broadwell processor. Straight into the lab, and within a few hours the first sight of the die structure, confirming that it is indeed the 14nm technology. The first image below is an image of a die that was given a bevel polish, so that we can look at the transistors in plan [...]
- Pete's Posts covers topics germane to the electronics and solar industries, including semiconductor and photovoltaic solar cell manufacturing, advanced packaging, nanotechnology, MEMS and circuit board assembly.
Semiconductor Materials: Growth, Opportunities and Challenges
Don’t miss this week’s webcast on Thursday at 1:00 pm Eastern, 10:00am Pacific. We have two great speakers lined up. First, Lita Shon‐Roy, President/CEO of Techcet, will provide an overview of chip level materials markets, focusing on growth and opportunities. Next, SRC’s Jon Candelaria, Director, GRC Interconnect and Packaging Sciences, will describe how today’s researchers are exploring [...]
Karen Lightman is managing director of MEMS Industry Group, the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets.
Pittsburgh IMAPS Workshop
By Karen Lightman, Executive Director, MEMS Industry Group Packaging means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Webster’s dictionary defines package as a “group or a number of things, boxed and offered as a unit.” For my school-age daughters, packaging means figuring out how to maximize the components of their lunch into these bento-box-like containers I bought at Target [...]
- Dr. Vivek Bakshi blogs about EUV Lithography (EUVL) and related topics of interest. He has edited two books on EUVL and is an internationally recognized expert on EUV Source Technology and EUV Lithography. He consults, writes, teaches and organizes EUVL related workshops.
Thoughts on the Significance of IBM’s EUV Benchmark
By Vivek Bakshi, EUV Litho, Inc. Since I posted in last week’s EUVL Focus blog the news of IBM’s EUV benchmark with the NXE3300B scanner at the EUV Center of Excellence in Albany, this news has received lots of attention, as it is a significant achievement. I have also received some questions and comments. I believe most of them come from a lack of familiarity with leading edge tool development [...]
- Ed's Threads - the first blog in the IC fab industry (launched 2006) - are Ed Korczynski's thoughts about IC, LED, and MEMS process development and about nanotechnology manufacturing markets. Ed has a degree in materials science and engineering from MIT, has decades of experience in Silicon Valley engineering and marketing, and won two ASBPE awards for editorial excellence writing for Solid State Technology. He is not lacking for opinions...
ASML Books Production EUV Orders
TSMC commits to two tools for delivery next year Maybe, just maybe, ASML Holding N.V. (ASML) has made the near-impossible a reality by creating a cost-effective Extreme Ultra-Violet (EUV @ ~13.5nm wavelength) all-reflective lithographic tool. The company has announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd. (TSMC) has ordered two NXE:3350B EUV systems for delivery in 2015 with the intention [...]